Sunday, October 09, 2016

October!

Monday was a quick grocery swap and then lunch with a few friends to celebrate Colette's birthday.  Megan was on Family night that night and taught a lesson about forgiveness in a family.  It was a lesson handed down from Mom and the story was about a teenage daughter who was upset when her parents had a surprise late baby!  Haha, I laughed--Mom probably related with that story!  Not because any of us were upset, just with the circumstances.  Once we all got over the shock, we were just excited about our baby brother! 

We put our hammocks up last weekend between conference sessions.  The kids are OBSESSED.  Every morning they are racing to finish their morning chores so they can play on the hammocks before school.  This was Tuesday. 



Tuesday was not hot in the morning, but it was a little muggy.  I took Jack and Emily on a walk and then we went to library story time.  Jack was so cute doing the little craft.  The girls had piano that afternoon and I watched kids for my friend Colette for a little bit that night after dinner.  After bedtime I went to visit Ali for a bit and we had fun chatting.
Wednesday was busy.  The kindergartners had a picnic field trip at the park by the big pool. I sewed a little purse for a present for Brooke's friend in the hour after dropping off the kids at school.  Then we met Candy at the park and let the kids play and ate lunch with her.  Then the school kids walked back to school and we stayed with a friend who had come for playgroup.  At noon we left to pick up the girls from early release.  It was muggy and HOT!  So we came home and put suits on and met up with a bunch of friends to swim at the small pool.  The water was cool when you first got in, but felt great after that in the hot sun.  Brooke went to her party where they rented a HUGE water slide thing and the rest of us enjoyed swimming.  I watched Ali's kids that day and her poor baby screamed the whole time.  I was glad Dan was home to help with everyone else. 
Thursday was a nice quiet day.  I took the kids to run errands in the morning and we got costume stuff for everyone.  I couldn't find the right fabric for Megan, but I got everyone else pretty done--now I just need to get sewing!  Megan will be Joy from Inside Out, Brooke will be Princess Jasmine, Candy will be Snow White, Jack will be Lightning McQueen, and Emily will be a pumpkin or a pea pod depending on the weather.  Dan came home from work early that night with a 102 degree fever!  Poor guy.  I sent him to bed and went to a RS activity where we assembled the food portion of a 72 hour kit.  I came home with food for 7 people for 3 days!  Awesome since ours really needed updating.
The kids in their new Halloween shirts courtesy of Grandpa:


And this little girl turned 7 months on Thursday!  What??? We discovered she loves to feed herself saltine crackers (way more than baby food).  She also loves blowing raspberries, squealing, and scooting backwards.  She still wakes up once at night but takes good naps and is still so happy ALL THE TIME.  Such a cutie.
Friday Dan was home sick.  I took Jack to playschool and Ali watched Emily while I went to my tennis lesson.  I picked up the kids and then made pizza and mowed the lawn.  I picked up the school kids and dropped all but Candy home with Dan to drop Candy off at Carrie's for a sleepover with Molly.  It took an hour and a half to get down and back!  I got home right as the other families were arriving for babysit swap.  So that was a busy night!
Saturday Dan was feeling better which was great because he was signed up for a sailing class down at Clear Lake!  That was my birthday present for him.  The weather was fantastic on Saturday and he had fun learning about sailing and then going out on a sailboat for a couple hours too.  I took the kids to a service project at church.  They were collecting toy donations and making Christmas cards for homeless kids.  We brought my niece home with us from that and did a little shopping for Jack at a new shopping center by the church.  I watched the BYU game that afternoon while the kids napped and played.  At dinner that night I gave Emily some whole peas on her tray and she was so cute using that little thumb and forefinger to carefully pinch the pea and eat it.  I remember Mom commenting when Brooke was a baby how much she loved watching babies use that little pincer grasp to pick up cheerios--I love it too.  Dan got home for dinner and bedtime and then I watched the game again with him!  BYU won against Michigan St and we looked great.  Fun game.  (31 to 14).
Carrie dropping off Candy before taking Molly home (Carrie watched the game at Shad's)

Jack in his new Sunday digs.  He was SO excited

Today was busy in the morning.  Dan had early meetings, so I got the kids and myself ready and had to be at church an hour early to practice a musical number.  It was tricky to get the kids to stay put while I practiced, but I stuck Jack in a stroller and that helped :).  We got through and Dan was with us for sacrament meeting.  Singing was so fun!  It was a pretty arrangement.  My lesson today was on Christ teaching the Nephites about prayer.  I was trying to implement some ideas from the new teacher council from two weeks ago.  We talked about how stories really help capture people's attention.  So I made time for more stories in between scripture reading.  It went pretty well.  We had the elders over for dinner.  Both are newish in our area (3 months for one, 6 days for the other) but they seem on the ball.  When they left we took the kids on a walk around the neighborhood to enjoy the fantastic weather--upper 70s and dry with a breeze.  Then home for scriptures and bed. 

No comments: