Friday, December 31, 2010

Our Big Loser :)

Every year we have a family night in January where we make resolutions--three per person plus three as a family.
In 2010, Dan set a goal to lose a pound a week.  His parents have made some major life changes since they became empty nesters and both have lost a lot of weight and look great, so they were a good source of ideas for him.
He put up a chart in the bathroom and weighed in faithfully each Wednesday.  The first 2 weeks, not much change.  So he bought some dumbbells and started lifting 3 times a week.  He also decided to go walking at lunch every day.  He finally found the guys in the ward who play basketball and started playing twice a week.  By April, he had a bike and started riding after work, inside with a bike trainer (makes a regular bike a stationary bike), or on weekends.  He also started really watching his portion size at meals and was more open to me trying healthier recipes. I've made more fish in this year of marriage then in the five before it!
Long story short, all that hard work paid off!  Other people started to notice when he hit about 20 pounds lost.  And kept noticing as he hit 30, then 40, then 50 (ultimately ending the year at 54 pounds down).  That helped him stay motivated throughout the year.
I'm so proud of him--I've always thought he looked good, but now he almost believes me!
He looks great and feels great and wants to lose another 20 pounds in 2011. 
Go Dan.  You can do it.  Love you lots.

Before:  Dec. 5, 2009

After:  Nov. 21, 2010

8 comments:

Heather said...

Dan does look good! It is funny how not many people notice you lost 20 lbs but you get up to 50 and everyone starts to notice. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! It is such hard work! Good Luck this year!

Asherbie said...

Go Dan!!!

Kate said...

Awesome, Dan! What a great feeling to set a goal, work toward it, feel great and look awesome when you complete it! Good luck with the last few pounds!

Michelle said...

Yay Dan!! You do look great!

Maren said...

That is seriously amazing. Really. I am so impressed. The too of you are just skinny-mini's now. Just look at cha. Mini. Although I feel like i have seen skinny Dan before. What did he look like when we first met him at Chatsworth?

Jane said...

I am proud of you Dan, but I love you just the same!

Anne Gessel said...

I am so super impressed! That's awesome!!! Great job Dan!