Monday, May 04, 2009

Are you kidding?

So Monday is my busy "make the menu for the week and get the grocery shopping done" day. I know that doesn't sound like a lot to do in a day, but there you have it :)
If I'm really on the ball, we leave for Walmart by 9 am so we can be home at 10 am for a nap for Megan. Today I was a little slow. I was ready at 9:30 but I knew if we went then Megan would be super-cranky in the cart and ready for a nap so I figured I'd just wait til after her nap. I put her down at 10 and she was quiet for a while and I thought, GREAT! She's asleep. We'll have some lunch at 11 (or when she wakes up) and head on out.
But then, at 10:20, she starts jabbering...
Was she asleep and is now awake and done sleeping?
Was she never asleep and will soon fall asleep?
Will her crib break because she uses it as a trampoline?
I let her jabber away and got her up at 11 (because hey--quiet time is good for Mom AND Megan, even if it doesn't involve sleep).
I started getting lunch out. She downed her cheese stick and started on her PB&H. I started making myself a sandwich and glanced up to see her sitting very still--I (of course) panic and assume she must have silently choked and is now passed out so I rush over and say "Megan! Are you ok?" while trying to see if she's breathing. Her head snaps up for a second (she IS breathing) and then drops again. WHAT? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
You're sleeping now? I'm ready to go! I want to be done with going out for the day! You just had a whole hour to sleep! Don't you know we only have 1 diaper left in the house?!?
So I wiped off her little peanut buttery hands and carried her upstairs where she is now sleeping soundly.
Sigh. She did look cute though all passed out in her sandwich.
That's what I get for not being speedy this morning and getting out the door by 9...
I guess I'll go clean the bathroom.

12 comments:

Heather said...

HA! Love it. It just goes to show you can't plan anything with kids around.

Katie said...

Kids have their own time table. I don't know how many time I have been grocery shopping with Paige hunched over asleep in the cart.

Candy H said...

Forget the planning, just take a small pillow with you in the cart and she can nap just like I used to do with you.
Love,
Mom

Glen & Kat said...

That's so hilarious. But so frustrating! I can't believe she fell asleep eating. I don't think that will ever happen with my child :)

Kelli said...

sounds like my days, planning just doesnt work around here anymore!

Nicole said...

That sounds so cute! But yeah, trying to plan out the day just doesn't really work. Nice try though.

Stephanie said...

That's so funny! My sister used to fall asleep in her high chair all the time.

Maren said...

ahahhaah. I love it. That was awesome. Good story. I giggled the whole time. I love how Megan falls asleep while eating. Amazing. It think i would have to make food with sleepy-drugs in it for Brigham to fall asleep at the table. Cleaning the bathroom is always the fall back.

Maren said...

What? your mom used to bring a pillow for you to sleep in the cart? What kind of people are you, hanises? It is true you can sleep anywhere. bed. couch. desk. patient's bedside. :)

Lisa and Kate said...

That is hysterical. kate is the queen of fake sleeping. Being quiet and then playing. Makes me crazy. We are trying to move to 1 nap a day but.... not quite ready for that. I bet she was cute. Did you get a sandwich picture? I bet it was priceless. Kisses to all. Lisa and Kate

Wendy said...

Forget planning, it does not work anyway. Kevin falls asleep like that and over half the time it is at restaurants. We just finish eating, walk him out to the car, let him sleep some more and then take him to his bed when we get home.

Christine said...

Children have a way of throwing our perfectly predictable schedules out the window!