1. My last shift as a nurse in UVRMC's NICU. I was shocked to realize it had been so long. During my last shift, I got to be the "admit" nurse--this means I had an easy baby to care for and was responsible for any new babies that came. One of my favorite nurses was the charge nurse (her job is to help all the other nurses with their babies and keep the unit running smoothly).
Well, sure enough we got some new babies. 32 weeks twins were delivered by emergency c-section. I got to "catch" the babies (meaning the doctor pulled the baby out of Momma, cut the cord, and handed it to me, then I took the first one to a warmer for another nurse to start caring for while I went back to get the other one) and then care for one of the twins. It was busy but the charge nurse was great (thanks Trudy!) and I got to practice all my skills one last time--it was really a perfect last shift. It seems crazy that those twins are now fat, happy 1 year olds! I just looked for a picture of me at work or in scrubs or something--but in 2 years and 8 months of working there, I don't have a single one! Aah! How did I not document that at all?
2. Dan graduating
3. The easiest pack job ever (in 4 hours our entire apt was professionally packed and loaded into a truck to meet us in Houston)
4. Our move to Houston!
Now for the random stories:
Our builder called last Wednesday to ask if they could show our house to some people looking to build our floorplan--they would give us $50 for our trouble. So we spent the end of last week doing some little projects that had been sitting around (hanging decorations, hemming Megan's drapes, finishing the downstairs blinds, cleaning the house, mowing/edging/etc) but unfortunately the showing was canceled, so no $50. Really though, it feels so nice to have all those little projects done. I guess I just need the thought of $50 to get motivated sometimes :)
Guest room...
Powder bath...
Master bath...
Master bath with our cute new decoration--thanks Stephanie!...
So about 3 weeks ago, Dan mowed the lawn for the first time. And it was HOT. And our yard is big. And it took a long time. And after those 3 hours of sweating it out in the yard, he came in and said we needed to talk about our savings goals. I could tell he'd spent most of his time out there thinking about this when he said, "First, we need to save enough to hire a yard crew." I started laughing, but he was serious and ignored my smile as he continued. "Second, we need to start saving for a pool. The purpose of the pool is twofold: one, it is refreshing to jump into a pool after spending all day in the yard. And two, it decreases the amount of lawn we have to mow." At this point I was laughing so hard I was crying, but he wasn't done yet. "Third, we need to have boys. Lots of boys. And we need to have them as soon as possible." To this I reminded him that seeing as how I am currently pregnant with another girl, this last goal will take some time. I guess we'll just train our girls to mow the lawn!
One last thing. I went garage-saling last weekend and pretty much think it's the greatest thing ever. I got cute clothes, toys, a baby swing, an art easel for Megan and all of this for $30. Now I'm hoping to find a slide/climbing toy for the backyard.
11 comments:
That is so funny! And the yard looks great. I can't believe you have been gone for a year already either!
Hi- This may sound kind of strange, but I found your blog through Megan Hanis's. My name is Kala and my husband, daughter and I are moving to the Houston area at the end of July. I was wondering if you would be willing to email me and tell me what you think of the area. Thanks :)
Kalarachel@hotmail.com
Ha! Dan is awesome! yeah, when you get the chance, you can hire a yard crew for OUR yard too.
I think the yard/lawn mowing thing is hilarious. It couldn't have been that bad. Although the first few times I mowed the lawn it was a serious workout. Sadly, we think you should just practice a little more before deciding of the professionals. Eventually you may have 1/100 of the love of lawn mowing that the Wilcox family has. Ah, life's simple pleasures.
You have been gone for a long time. It is true. Amazing that you got to catch. That is awesome. I don't think i have a picture either. Crazy. eh, people are always shocked when i tell them i am an RN. I can't understand why... :)
I cannot believe it has been a year. You need to come back where you belong. We are busy and miss you lots and lots. Trudy is still amazing and makes all of our shifts so easy. She cares aboiut all of us and our babies. Big hug to sweet Megan. Lisa
Hahaha!! I love Dan's savings objectives. That sounds like something Chris would say. I fully support the pool idea, but would suggest that instead of hiring a lawn maintenance crew you just buy a riding mower! No need to get exercise when you can just sit there and still get something done! :-) Plus, then you will still enjoy the cool, refreshing pleasures of the pool after yard work. Just a thought!
I laughed out loud at that post, I can just hear Dan now...P.S. I love Megan's jabbering.
Time sure does fly. I love the story about dan and mowing. Yard work is a lot harder than we thought it was going to be. And we DID have to hire someone to help us. Good luck winning that battle. You better keep saving up your money if it takes 3 hours to finish.
Your home is looking lovely! Congrats on the project completion. Yeah Beckett invited the builder over to have some people look at our home.. right after we made a mess dying easter eggs. It was awesome... I was going ahead trying to tidy up as they came through...
Love the story about Dan!!! Too funny!
HAHA! I love Dan! Maybe we should just move to Houston and our little boy can mow your lawn accomplishing 2 of Dan's goals. Your house looks beautiful! I really like the bathroom rugs. I don't remember those. I'm glad you like the candle holder thing!
Cute house! I love what you've done with it. Mine totally needs help! Can you believe it's been a whole year since all that great stuff happened? Wow, time flies!
Post a Comment