Wednesday, April 08, 2009

NYC #3

I've determined that this will be the last post from our trip--life has kept marching on and I have other things to post about...but it means very limited pictures from a very fun trip! If you want to see more pictures, check out my mom's blog.

The family went into the city Thursday , Friday, and Saturday (March 19-21). Thursday, my sister Jamie watched the babies (Megan and Chloe) and we trekked in with me, Dan, my brother Shad and his wife Amy and their two older kids (Hailey and Zach), my sister Carrie, my brother Tyler, my parents, and Jamie's youngest girl (Madelyn).

We rode the train in from Connecticut and saw Grand Central and Times Square. We had lunch on Times Square and then took a subway to the Museum of Natural History and wandered around for a few hours. After the museum, we went to the Staten Island Ferry and the Trinity Church and Ground Zero. Ground Zero wasn't as cool as I hoped it would be--it's just a big construction site right now. Trinity Church was beautiful and we got to see the Statue of Liberty from the ferry (and a good view of the skyline). We had dinner in Grand Central and then headed back to Jamie's house. It was EXHAUSTING! But also very fun and I enjoyed my first taste of the Big Apple.

Dan and I with "Dum-Dum"


On the Staten Island Ferry--see the Statue of Liberty?


Friday was a pretty small group--Dan, Mom, Dad, Tyler, Carrie, and Shad. Amy, Jamie, and I stayed at the house with all the kids and relaxed for the day. They went to Pier 17 to pick up some half price Broadway tickets for the whole family, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Rockefeller Center, and some other big pretty church.

One of Dan's favorites at the MMA--a Van Gogh


Shad, Dan, and Ty at Rockefeller


Saturday, the WHOLE FAMILY (that's 18 people!) took the train in. We formed quite the entourage as we made our way through town--2 double strollers, 1 single stroller, and a bunch of kids and adults all walking in a group. We had lunch at the McDonald's on times square, walked around the M&M store, saw some amazing views from Trent's office building, and saw Shrek, The Musical. The show was fantastic. The kids all did great (which was good because the manager almost didn't let them in--despite the fact that they had tickets and everything--but we convinced him they were angels and he relented). After the show we walked to the Manhattan Temple, through Central Park, down 5th Avenue, past Rockefeller Center, and back to Grand Central. I got to see my old roommate Karen for a few minutes (she met up with us at the temple) and my friend from high school Holly (she came to Grand Central). It was so fun to see them even though they were very VERY brief visits and I'm glad they were in town and able to meet up with our crazy group.

On the train


Sweet view...


My parents and siblings


Broadway!!


The whole group outside the theater

4 comments:

Heather said...

i like the picture of you on the train it looks like you got a new SHORT haircut. You have officially made me want to go to NYC congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Yeah for new pictures! Looks like fun and I like the new picture at the top of your page.

Michelle said...

Sounds like lots of fun! I'm so glad you were able to go. Maybe a trip to Utah next?

Cookie Dough said...

You lucky thing. I'd love to visit NY, even with a baby. I can't believe how big Megan has gotten! Don't you love that she is her own little person now?