Mother's Day (like most of May this year) was filled with mixed emotions. I can't believe it's been a year since Mom's cancer was back with a vengeance. I can't believe she's been gone for 10 months. I can't believe this was the first Mother's Day of the rest of my life without her here.
And yet, life goes on. It was a nice Sunday still. Dan and the girls woke me with breakfast in bed and it was delicious and the girls were so excited. Megan made me a card at joy school and I loved it. A highlight of the day was watching Megan and Brooke sing to me with all the primary kids at church. They sang "Mother I Love You" and followed that with "Mother Tell Me the Story" with the Mom's joining in. I was a little teary, but held it together (I had to teach RS later, so I knew I had to maintain some composure). Dad made a delicious brisket dinner so none of us Moms had to cook and we enjoyed being together as a family.
I am so grateful for the Moms I am surrounded by. My mother-in-law Jane, Baba, my sisters, sisters-in-law, Dan's Grandma, all of my Aunts, wonderful friends in my ward and neighborhood, visiting teachers and companions--my life and my family are blessed by their examples.
I am especially grateful to be a mother. Megan, Brooke, and Candace make my life exciting :). They teach me a lot about patience and even more about unconditional love.
My Baba (Dad's mom) is still here and it was nice to be with her on this first mother's day without Mom.
I told Dan that all I wanted for Mother's Day was a hummingbird feeder. My Mom had one outside her kitchen window for years and she loved watching the hummingbirds come and feed. I don't have many memories of my Granny (Mom's mom), but one thing I do remember is HER hummingbird feeder on her porch and watching the birds come. So I wanted my own this year. I think when I see those little birds stopping for a drink that I'll feel like Mom sent them.
I didn't take any pictures on Mother's Day, but here's one from the day after. My little sweethearts in their "tent" giggling and taking care of their babies. Love them :)
1 comment:
I'm glad it was a pretty good day for you and that Baba was there. What a cute husband Dan is!
Post a Comment