Sunday, April 17, 2011

An Early Easter

With my Grandfather's 90th birthday party planned for Easter weekend 2011, my parents decided to host an early Easter with all the kids.  As I sit writing this post nearly 2 years later, I am so thankful for this last, nearly perfect holiday we had with Mom.
Mom was in the middle of her additional rounds of chemo and we were still full of hope that they would be effective.  She was feeling pretty good and this holiday felt almost "normal".
Mom hosted (her first big holiday to host in her redone kitchen).  She made assignments, the food and atmosphere were fun (as always).  Along with 4 of her kids and 7 of her grandkids, there were neighbors in and out too.

We had an egg hunt for the kids, tossed Easter eggs and had a great time.  And since she knew I'd shared an Easter message at the Primary activity the day before, she asked me to share it with the kids so they could focus on the real meaning of Easter for a few minutes.  I remember sharing the story of Jesus's trial, death, and burial.  I asked the kids the same question I asked the day before at the primary activity--"have any of you had someone you know die?  Like a grandma or grandpa?"  And I remember at that moment making eye contact with my Mom and being a little startled as I realized the group I was asking were mostly HER grandchildren.  Of course they hadn't experienced that.  Not yet.  I remember telling the children about Christ's miraculous resurrection--and that because of Him, we would all be resurrected.  And because of that knowledge, when someone we loved died, we didn't have to be too sad because we would all be resurrected one day and be together again.  I remember a sweet peace as I told them that.  And even though that sweet peace can be elusive when life seems long and Mom seems far away, I hold on to the memories like this to carry me through.

This was the email she sent out to invite us over.
April 15, 2011:
"Dear Amy, Amber, Carrie and Rishelle,
I talked to Amy and we would like to do Easter dinner together this Sunday, since we will be gone for Easter Sunday.  Let's plan for 4:30.
Amy - turkey, gravy
Candy- Ham, dressing, mashed potatoes
Other possibilities
green beans
asparagus
fruit or jello salad
rolls
veggie tray
any of your favorites
Let me know if you would like to come and what you want to bring.
Thought it would be nice to share the Easter story together.  and also to have an Easter egg hunt in the front yard.
Amy and Amber do you want to figure out the Easter story.
Carrie and Rishelle, do you want to do the egg hunt.  Just tell each family what to bring, either real easter eggs or plastic
eggs with candy. 
Love ya,
Candy"
Love you too Mom.  Love you too.
Dad's 59th birthday party, April 9, 2011


Cousin Molly's blessing day, April 10, 2011

Brookie snuggling her Granny, April 14, 2011


Telling the Easter story to all the kids, April 17, 2011




Egg hunt time...





Egg toss--raw, real eggs--yup, we take our egg tosses seriously.


The kids enjoyed their spoils and tried not to get hit with egg yolks from the adult egg toss...

Some pictures from Mom when she was in Utah--this is from Thanksgiving Point on April 22, 2011.

My Mom and her Dad on his 90th birthday, April 23, 2011.

No comments: