Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Get your garden on...

Nearly 2 years ago, my sister Jamie left me an aloe vera plant when she moved to CT. It's a cactus. And I stuck it under an eave so it would get dripped on when it rained. And it's dead. So, so dead. How do you kill a cactus?
And yet, even with that green-thumb history, Dan agreed to let me embark on a garden. My mom brought her van and we went and picked up wood and then Dan made me 2 garden boxes. They are 3 feet by 10 feet. Dan then filled them with 3 cubic yards of dirt (that's a lot of trips from the driveway to the boxes!) and I planted 3 varieties of tomatoes, butternut squash, jalapeno, cilantro, lettuce, zuchinni, cucumber, snow peas, and carrots. So far, things are growing. Not necessarily thriving, but surviving. And I treated them with miraclo-gro, so that should help, right? Hopefully we'll get at least a few tomatoes.
Wish me luck!



5 comments:

Maren said...

Nice Garden boxes! You plants look great and the dirt looks oh so dark. Have you been listening to your rap music? 'Get your garden on"? Whoa. Oh, my word, i am so jealous of you amazing yard! Nice fence, grass, open space- AWESOME.

Christine said...

Well done, those are very nice garden boxes! Happy planting and growing!

Ali said...

Your garden looks great. Good luck. I hope you get lots of vegetables.

Asherbie said...

Wahoo! It's growing! That's the best feeling!

Stephanie said...

Yay for gardening! We just planted our tomatoes this weekend. Home grown veggies are so delicious. I hope it turns out well for you guys.