Sunday, May 08, 2016

Mother's Day week!

We've had a good week. 
We grocery swapped on Monday, and didn't have swim team because the pool was being repaired.  It was great weather, so I let the kids ride bikes after school and we had fun catching up with some neighbors we hadn't seen in a while.  We had dinner and then family night.  It was Jack's turn to teach, so I picked a story from the friend.  We ended up doing our lesson around the table because we ate dinner pretty late, but it actually worked great for the kids.  We'll have to do it there again.
Tuesday was a nice day again and while Candy was at joy school I ran some errands with Jack and Emily and then we went over to Ali's to meet baby Joseph.  He's a cutie.  I took Luke with us to the park for a little after joy school and dropped him off before taking Candy to kindergarten registration at the school.  She was so excited.  I just filled out a bunch of forms and she did a vision and hearing screen with the nurse.  After school I took the girls to meet their new cousin before swim team.  I made dinner for Ali that night and Dan dropped it off on his way to a meeting so he got to meet the baby too. 
Wednesday we had playgroup in the morning and it was more fantastic weather.  We had a good turnout too which made it really fun. Megan had piano after school and we did swim team too. 
Thursday I got to pick out a gift for Megan's teacher using donations from the families who have kids in the class.  This was my last "room mom" duty of the year and it was fun.  We got her a gift card to the cheesecake factory and a bunch of her favorite snacks.  I stopped at Costco too (one just opened by us so we got a membership there for the first time in a few years).  I did a quick backstroke lesson with Candy and cousin Alonzo after school.  Alonzo was pretty funny, telling me that the lesson with me was way harder than swim practice!  I told him that means he's not working hard enough :).  After swim team on Thursday Megan seemed extra cold and shivery, and sure enough, she had a low grade fever. 
Friday (Emily's 2 month birthday!)  I kept Megan home.  Her fever was gone most of the day though and she was happy running errands with me.  We got some posters printed to put in all the church buildings for stake conference coming up (Dan was assigned to do the advertising this time).  It took a few hours, so I'm glad we did it Friday and not Saturday.  While we waited I took the kids to get hot dogs at costco and they all decided it was their favorite store.  Jack spiked a fever of his own while we ate lunch and was pretty miserable.  Megan had to miss swim team that night and was bummed because on Fridays they only swim a few laps before playing on the big slides.  We hosted a partial babysit swap, just the Tracys (the other family's kid has asthma and they didn't want to risk getting sick from my kids). 
Saturday was BUSY!  I got up and took Jack and Emily with me to walk in the sprint for life.  I had actually planned to run or jog it.  Once Carrie turned around though, I was walking with Linda Talbot and Linda Henry and it was really fun to catch up with them.  We shared some memories of Mom as we walked. 
Linda Talbot talked about when she and mom and done a garage sale and after it was over Carrie and Shad needed to go to piano lessons and they were arguing about who would go first.  Shad got frustrated and hit the new bottle of ketchup just right on the edge of the counter and BOOM!  It exploded and got ketchup EVERYWHERE!!!  Linda said she would have lost it on her kids but Mom just looked at him and said firmly, "Go get ready."  and started cleaning up. 
Linda Henry talked about Leah's 3rd swim lesson at our house.  The first two had gone well, but during the second lesson Mom had let go of her on a swim.  Leah had decided she wasn't going to do anymore swimming with Ms. Candy and refused to put a suit on.  So Linda brought her over fully dressed at her lesson time.  Mom looked at Leah and said, "Ok!  We can swim like this!" and took her right in to start her lesson and suggested Linda go out of sight.  Leah was floored, but by the end of the lesson was doing great and never had a problem again. 
I talked about my memories of playing bean bag pick up with Mom.  As a mother myself now, it's even more hilarious to me that we all loved this game where mom sat on the couch and chucked bean bags at us and if she hit us we had to clean something up.  If we caught it, we were safe for the moment but had to give her the bean bag back. 
We remembered her genuine love for everyone, her kindness, her creativity, and her friendship.  I miss her.
After completing the "race" in 1 hour and 6 minutes, I hurried to drive back to Fall Creek to watch the girls in their time trials.  I told you how they did when we talked to you today, pretty great overall.  I was especially impressed by Candy who had refused to do backstroke in practice all week but got in and faked it well enough to get a time :). 
Time trials ended at noon or so and then Dan took the posters to some church buildings (or to people who'd be at the other buildings on sunday).  He also brought me home some beautiful roses for Mother's day.  I love them.  Then we headed down to Dad and Sally's for dinner at 5 pm.  Shad and Amy and their kids came and Carrie did too.  Charlie is home for  a few weeks.  He and dad had just finished putting a truckload of mulch down when we pulled up.  It was great to be with everyone.  We ate pizza and watched the kentucky derby (a short guy riding a horse won) and put on a movie for the kids while the adults played 5 Crowns.  Dan wants you to know he won.  Dad did not win..  After the game we watched the BYU men's volleyball play for the nat'l championship...and lose in 3 sets.  Bummer.  We all headed home around 9 pm.  Poor Jack was still feverish but slept ok all night with some ibuprofen.  I also moved Emily upstairs!  She slept pretty good too. 
It's been a nice Mother's day in spite of the mixed feelings I always feel on mother's day without my Mom.  My kids and Dan made me breakfast in bed (waffles and oj), Brooke showed me the craft she made me in her class at school, and we all got ready for church.  Dan got me two Willow Tree figurines.  A few weeks ago I bumped into our shelves in the family room and shattered two of my three figurines.  One was from Mom for my college graduation and the other was from my in-laws from when Mom passed away.  I was pretty bummed to lose them and so excited to have them replaced. 
Dan had to run up early for a meeting, so the kids and I met him there.  The primary kids sang 3 songs for the Moms and did great.  I left sacrament meeting a few minutes early to take Jack and Emily home with me so we could skype you.  Dan listened in and then subbed in primary for the last hour (the men subbed for all of the women in primary so they could go to RS).  After church we got a nap in while the kids had quiet time, Dan made dinner (with some help from me), then the kids and I picked up the toys while Dan cleaned up the kitchen.  I had wanted to play a game with the kids before they went to bed and we attempted to play Sorry which was great til Brooke's pawn got sent back home by a Sorry card and she fell apart.  The other kids were good sports about the game being ended early and we got them off to bed.   I got ready to upload pics from my nice camera but apparently the memory card is corrupted.  Bummer.  But I took some phone pics this week.
Emily taking a quick tummy nap on Monday 5/2

Snuggling Daddy on Monday before dinner
.
Meeting baby Joseph on Tuesday.  We had a similar pic of Alonzo and Megan (Megan is 12 weeks older than Alonzo).  We joke that this is the only time in their lives that Emily will be bigger. 

My costco dates on Friday. 


When I noticed Jack was shivering I wrapped him up in Emily's carseat cover.  Poor kid.

Smiley Emily on Friday...


The 3 Linda's of my childhood.  I'm thankful for each of them.

Most of the team.  Larissa Meyer and her kids and her mom also ran it for Sweet Like Candy.
Pretty flowers.

Look!  It's Elder Tyler!

Cute squishy faced Emily napping after church.

The sorry game before brooke's meltdown.  Jack had run off somewhere, but it's me and my 4 girls.  I"m so thankful I get to be their (and Jack's) Mom.  It's really fun and really challenging and pretty amazing.  And I'm glad I get to parent with Dan.  He's the best partner I could ask for.

No comments: