We had a busy Saturday with our swim team's time trials all morning. Brooke swam free and back, and Megan swam those along with her first races in Breast and Fly. It was so fun to watch!
With me coaching, Meg and Brooke hanging around friends from the ward, Candy and Jack at another friend's home, and Dan at a youth activity it was a bit of a whirlwind but it all worked out. We are so thankful to have great friends around us that helped us juggle it all!
When Dan got home, we headed down and had a blast being with the family and celebrating Tyler. We just can't believe that next year he'll be celebrating his birthday as a missionary in the Czech Republic with nearly a year under his belt! With him leaving so soon, we weren't sure what to give him--so I made him a jello cake and gave him a jar of homemade strawberry jam :). The cake didn't last the day and knowing him, the jam won't last much longer than that.
Sunday was another busy but great day. Mother's Day will probably always be a day of mixed emotions for me. There is certainly happiness as I'm pampered by Dan and our children. And I do enjoy finding ways to show my appreciation to my mother-in-law and step-mom. But there is such a pang of sadness as I remember and miss my own amazing mother.
We started the day early with the kids coming in right at 6. Dan got up with them and made breakfast so I could stay in bed until 7 (small victories!). Dan got all the kids ready so I could get ready for church by myself and even though we got to church a few minutes after our usual time, we still beat almost the whole ward! It was so funny to realize that when Mom takes the morning off, most of the families run behind!
The kids sang a darling trio of songs during sacrament meeting and then I got the rare treat of going to Sunday School with Dan and listening to the lesson! The men in the ward took over the nursery and it was even Jack's first official day in there, so for the first time in a long time we didn't have a kiddo on our lap. After Sunday School, we grabbed the kids and drove down to my "home" ward (the ward was recently realigned in a major way, the stake was changed up, and as of today it moved to a new building!). But it felt like home just the same as we gathered in a classroom for Tyler to be ordained an elder. Along with Dad and Sally and Carrie, Shad came with Hailey and Zach and our step-brothers Andy and Charlie were there as well. We all had tender hearts as Tyler reached this milestone on Mother's Day nearly 4 years after we lost Mom. I'm so glad we could be there.
After the ordaining, Dad, Ty, Carrie, and my family headed to Mom's grave for a quick visit. The cemetery was packed and they had pretty carnations that we put at her grave.
Then they all came over for a yummy dinner made by Dan (pork chops and rice). While Dan cooked and my kids napped, we played Rook and chatted and watched some family photo dvds. After dinner we played some Disney scene-it (Megan's request) and talked and laughed. Shad and his family arrived a little after 4 pm and we joined us in playing Disney Dance party (Grandpa's request) on the kinect. It was cut-throat competition and I think Dan ended up with the high score for the day! It was so fun to be together and enjoy each other. I am so thankful for the gifts that my siblings and their kids are in my life (we missed you Jamie!).
Megan and Grandpa (the only pic I had of Megan :) )...
Candy and Jack...
Silly Brookie...
Cute Jack and Ellie...

No comments:
Post a Comment