Tuesday May 3, we headed out with Grandma to check out the Kennecott Copper mine. Apparently I'd probably been there before, but not in my memory. It was pretty amazing to see such a gigantic hole in the ground and there was a little museum and movie to watch. The kids actually liked the movie, but had to be strapped down in the stroller while in the museum. I think boys might have liked the museum more (there were tons of models of tractors everywhere), but for the girls it was a tough sell. We'll have to try it again in a few years :).
Me, Megan, Dan
Grandma and Brooke, Dan and Megan
We left around noon to head back to Bountiful. This was also the day of my mom's follow-up appointment with her oncologist. On the way back to Bountiful, I called my parents' house to see if they were home and got no answer, so I called my sister in Connecticut to see if she'd heard anything. She then read me an email from my Dad telling us that my Mom's cancer had not responded to the 3 additional chemo treatments she'd just finished--in fact, it grew and spread quite a bit during those treatments. Hearing that part I started to choke up, but then my Dad explained that they'd be canceling the around the world trip they had planned for July and I immediately started sobbing. Mom was set to meet with the doctors at MD Anderson to discuss clinical trials and would likely be in for a long summer of treatments--not remission like we'd all hoped. It was hard to be away on that day. I wanted to be there to see Mom and reassure myself as to exactly how she was doing. Our trip was going great, but suddenly I just wanted to be home. I was able to talk to Mom the next day and calmed down a bit, but I was glad to be heading home soon.
When we got back to Bountiful, Dan's parents offered to stay with the girls so we could go spend some time in the temple. I have never been so emotional during a session as I was that day, but it was comforting to be in that "home" and feel of the peace and love of Heavenly Father.



No comments:
Post a Comment