Sunday, November 13, 2016

Election Week...

Another fun and crazy week is in the books.  It's not very often that I'm so busy I don't take a million pictures, but here we are :).  I feel like I hardly took any pictures, but that's probably because for the first time in a month there were no birthdays or holidays!

11/7, Monday morning we dropped off a few minutes early for school so Megan could practice her part for the veteran's day program.  She tried out for a solo singing part a few weeks back and got the part!  Then it was our usual grind of grocery swapping, naps, school pickups, dinner time, and FHE.   Dan reviewed the plan of salvation with the kids and they remembered some from his lesson a few weeks back.  They were still pretty out of sorts from lack of sleep and they ended up fighting as we were trying to get treats out at the end, so they got sent to bed without treats.  You would have thought we cut off their arms; they were so upset!  I looked over at Dan as we each dragged 2 screaming kids upstairs and said, "Happy family night!".  Even then it was pretty funny.  We all survived.

Emily napping on Monday.

11/8, Tuesday was election day.  I was worried about long lines, but our polling location was the elementary school here and I was in and out in 10 minutes.  Not bad.  I voted 3rd party for president, so I knew my candidate wouldn't win, but I was interested to see how everything played out.  Megan and Jack had checkups that morning and both are doing great.  Healthy and growing and happy.  When Dan got home from work I hurried to get dinner ready so I could run to the temple.  I missed the session I was hoping for (traffic was heavier than usual), so instead I did initiatories.  It was busy so I had some time waiting to read scriptures.  I went to the celestial room when I was done and was again struck by the quiet there.  It was a great experience to be in such a peaceful place with all the political stuff going on all day.  Dan and I went to bed long before the results were in, but the tide was turning toward trump and sure enough, when we woke up in the morning, that was the headline everywhere.  It will be interesting to see how he does as president in the next few years--hopefully he does well!

I voted :)




11/9, Wednesday.  Megan's veteran's day program was first thing that day.  Dan worked from home so he could attend.  They did two performances right in a row.  Megan was excited and she did great!  She was calm and confident and sang beautifully!  The program was really wonderful to have after such a divisive election--looking at all those sweet kids singing about how wonderful America is definitely made me thankful for our country and hopeful for our future.  After the program we ran to playgroup (we've had awesome cool weather all week--70s in the afternoons).  Then we picked up the girls from early release at noon and went back to the park for more playing.  We headed home for naps and all the girls had playdates so it was a nice quiet afternoon.  We played with the neighbor kids after that--lots of outside time that day!



Brooke swiped the phone for a selfie before dinner on Wednesday.

11/10 Thursday.  I met Shad and Amy at Ikea to pick up Ellie from them (they were headed to Las Vegas for a couple days) and shop for some shelves.  Jack and Ellie had a blast walking around with me and we got lunch at the little cafe there.  Then home for naps before school pickups.  Ellie did great being with us, no tears at all.  I had a baby shower that night which was fun. 

11/11 Friday.  The actual veteran's day--happy 98th birthday to Grandpa Hanis!  I dropped Jack off for his playschool, so it was me and Emily and Ellie all morning.  I did lots of laundry and started prepping for our ward campout that night.  Dad picked up Ellie during nap time on his way out to get the rest of the kids to take to his place.  Dan came home a little early and by 5 we were on our way.  We camped at Lake Somerville (near Brenham).  It took 2 hours to get there, so it was dark when we arrived.  We set up the tent and let the kids run themselves ragged eating smores, playing with glow sticks, and hanging out with friends.  We had fun chatting but turned in just after 10.  Our tent is getting a little small for 7 of us! 

11/12 Saturday.  The kids all slept pretty well.  Emily woke up in the wee hours and was a little cold so she slept with Dan and I the rest of the night.  In the morning Dan fished a little and the kids ran around some more.  We headed home again at 9:30.  Dan and Megan and Brooke helped clean the church while the rest of the kids napped and we hosted babysit swap that  night.  I was TIRED!  I went to bed just before 9 and let Dan stay up to wait for the other parents to get home. 

I took no camping pics.  These are ones my friends sent me!




11/13 Sunday.  Dan had early meetings.  The kids were pretty good this morning.  Megan stubbed her toe while I was showering and it was bleeding pretty good, so when I came out of the shower the house looked like a crime scene!  Bloody footprints all over the downstairs tile, right on up the stairs and up in the upstairs bathroom too where she went to take a bath--what a mess!  We had a nice chat about proper first aid when someone is bleeeding--stay in one spot and hold pressure, DON'T WANDER ALL OVER THE HOUSE!  We got it cleaned up and made it to church.  Dan was the high council speaker in our ward today.  He did a great job and talked about Elder Holland's talk from the April 2016 conference.  Elder Holland talks about the spiritual high that follows a conference and how to maintain that momentum.  Dan talked about being intentional with your spiritual walk so that you can keep that going.  He talked about goal setting and how all those simple daily acts determine where we will end up.  He mentioned how Dad tells people who are new or struggling to "just keep coming" and the rest will work itself out.  Anyway, it was great and the kids were good so I got to listen too!  We had Ali and Ben over for dinner and they watched our other kids so we could take Brookie to the "great to be 8" fireside.  She's so excited to turn 8 next year!  

No comments: