Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve

Just like Thanksgiving, Christmas this year was not easy. It was so painfully obvious that Mom wasn't there. We put up all the decorations, made a beautiful meal, set the tables, and did the traditions just as we always had. But a piece of our hearts was missing. The hardest part of the Christmas season for me was helping Dad decorate the house. The first box I opened had Mom's stocking right on top, where she had carefully put it away the year before, never imagining she wouldn't be there to get it out again. I remember feeling so torn. Do I put it up? But she's not here. Do I not put it up? But then it's like she was never here. So I put it up. And put everything else up. So many of her decorations were wood projects that my Dad cut out and she painted. It was fun to see them all and remember, even if it hurt. I found myself appreciating the Savior's birth as I never had before.  I was thankful for the abundance of excited children to help Christmas Eve and Day be magical in spite of all we were missing.

Christmas Eve started off with our annual breakfast at Mrs. Viola's house, complete with homemade egg nog mustaches. Yum, yum, and yum.

We headed back to Dad's and spent the afternoon in the hot tub before finishing dinner prep.



Tyler tested the cold, cold pool for us.  Results seen below.

We set a lovely table.


Dan and I broke out the chocolate fountain that had been sitting on a shelf for at least 4 years.  It was worth it.  So, so yummy.

Some dressed up...

Some showed off their baby blues (seriously, those eyes are blue!)

Here was most of the crew...

We opened our Christmas Eve gift...PJs!



We had a special visitor stop by...




Then we acted out the nativity.  The poor donkey had to carry 2 Mary's this year...

He barely made it (ha!)

Hailey (angel), Zach (Joseph), Chloe (Mary), Megan (innkeeper), Brooke (alternate Mary)

Carrie the narrator

Tyler and a wig...not sure but I think he was a shepherd :)
 

Then it was time to hurry home and finish up our prep for the big day.  And poof, we were ready--we just needed morning to come!


No comments: