Sunday, February 01, 2009

Decorating Updates

We finally emptied the last box and hung all the pictures we have on the walls. And since the walls still feel pretty empty, we've realized that what felt sufficient in 650 square feet 10 months ago isn't quite so sufficient now.
But alas, the filling of the walls will be a $low proce$$. :)
Let me know what you think so far!




I registered for this hanging basket when we got married and I've always wanted to hang it but never had a spot (or a hook) until now.


The study is my favorite room right now. Probably because I only rarely let Megan into it (after an afternoon of Megan emptying shelves, pulling down curtains, and other general toddler curiousness--the study became off limits). It also feels so organized. My plan is to use it as a project room as well--I can put my sewing machine on the desk and keep it set up when I have a project going.


For new decorations, I started in Megan's room with a cheap and very cute wall filler (thank you Jamie for the idea). You find a font you like and print it very large (I did 500 pt). Then you cut your letters out of any cardboard you have lying around (like moving boxes! but I actually used a slightly thinner box from one of my Dad's Christmas gifts). Now choose cute paper and cut your paper slightly larger than your cardboard letter (I left about a 1/8 inch margin). This way you can fold your paper over the edge of the cardboard for a finished look. Use scissors to score your margins so it's easier to fold over. Then, using mod podge, glue your cute paper over your cardboard. I glued the edges down first and then did mod podge on the front to make it shiny. Last, embellish with ribbons and bows! I love how it turned out!





10 comments:

Ali said...

I love the letters you did for Megan's wall. It looks great. And what a great idea for such a low cost. That's always the hard part with decorating. I like what you have done so far. Isn't it nice to have a room off limits for the kids so you can keep it nice and organized. Your house looks great!

Kelli said...

everything looks great. Love the letters

Leslie said...

What a great house! Your decor looks marvelous-- we feel the same way after moving out of Wymount, we don't have anything to fill our walls with!! Oh well. It's nice to know you do have space if you find something that you love. Congrats on the pregnancy, btw!!! That's awesome news. I hope you're feeling well.

Maren said...

Cute. You crafty little mommy. Your office boards above the desk look newish too. Is there a new way to do the budget? as always i fail in this area and can use your organizing updates.

Glen & Kat said...

cute letters! I'm so impressed that you've already completely unpacked. I think it took us a year. Thanks for letting us come see the place--I love it and it was fun to play.

Maren said...

wow, that was a lot posted on the same day. I worked hard reading all those blogs. time for some sheet cake.

Krista Hansen said...

Your house looks so beautiful! And congrats on the new baby! We are due 5 days apart. Isn't staying home so great? Hats off to our awesome husbands. Can't wait to hear what you are having!

Chris and Jenn Roundy said...

So, I'm really glad you have a house before I do! Now you can go through all the struggle of finding cute, cheap decorating ideas first and then when we eventually get a house, you can teach me everything you know! (or better yet, do it for me like you used to do with organizing my closet! hahaha!) Seriously though, the house looks great! Can't wait to see it sometime! :-)

Heather said...

So cute and cheap! I will so do that for my baby after she comes.

Stephanie said...

Cute house! I love to see pictures of the house! I love all the different colors in the room. Megan's letters are my favorite. Another cheap decorating idea I've found: for William's room I bought a book at DI with cute pictures. I scanned the pictures and printed them off in sizes to fit the cheap frames I bought at IKEA frames.