Saturday, August 28, 2010

The End of the Trip

After the shocking amount of photos from all the other days of our trip, I'll be honest--we don't have a single photo from Friday, Aug. 27 or Saturday, Aug. 28.
That's probably because Dan's stomachache of Thursday lasted through the night--and in fact, got worse.  By the middle of the night, it felt a lot like the ache he'd had back in March when he spent the night in the hospital and nearly got his appendix out--but didn't because the pain subsided and his labs didn't look suspicious.
However, this time--the ache continued to worsen (of course it did--good thing Friday was a "free day" on our itinerary for the trip).  He woke me up around 7 am on Friday to say he thought we should find an ER.  Sure enough, it was his appendix and after a few delays for more pressing cases, he finally went into the OR around 5 pm.  An hour and a half later, my very groggy and now appendix-less husband made it out to a room to spend the night at the hospital. 

Dan (appendix intact) resting before the barbecue on Thursday...
The upsides (if there were any) were that we went to a hospital that was just a few minutes from Dan's parents' house and Dan's mom was kind enough to take care of our girls all day so I could be with Dan.  Oh!  And Dan's mom had a copy of The Hunger Games that she let me borrow--I read the whole thing that day...while paying full attention to my ailing husband, I swear.
The real adventure was deciding whether or not we'd be making our 1 pm flight on Saturday.  The surgeon assured us that Dan would be fine and made sure we got checked out early--we were back at Dan's parents' house by 9 am Saturday.  We got on the flight just fine and luckily (?) our girls were running fevers so we happily gave them alternating doses of Tylenol and Ibuprofen and they slept most of the flight.

Then it was back to real life :).  Don't worry Brookie--vacations are great but coming home is great too.  I promise.

4 comments:

Heather said...

That was a lot of posts about one super awesome trip. I liked reading them and remembering what fun we had on your visit.
You failed to mention, however, that Dan's favorite sister visited him in the hospital and showered him with gifts. I guess you didn't want to make the other sisters feel bad. lol.

Lisa and Kate said...

Sorry It ended so terribly. Glad your hubby was ok. The kids are so grown up. Come back soon!!

Chris and Jenn Roundy said...

I love your perspective on things! :-) I'm glad yall were able to come visit and that you made it home with most of your body parts intact!

Kate said...

What a wonderful trip! Thank goodness Dan's ok. I'm sure it's a vacation ya'll won't soon forget!